Thursday, October 26, 2006

A little bit about where I'm coming from...


These last few weeks have been extraordinary. I don't know how many inquiries I've received, but from all of them, I'd say I've ended up accepting roughly 1/3 to 1/2. (By "accepting," I mean that I actually agree to read the person's script, based on the quality of their query.) That's not a bad number, I must say. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

When it comes to actually reading a script, well...that's another matter entirely. It is rare that I read a script from beginning to end; I can usually tell by page 2 or 3 whether or not an author knows how to write. If a script hasn't caught my attention by page 5, I usually throw the towel in and move on to something else. (This is why a screenplay's opening scenes are so crucial!)

It might interest you to know that of all the scripts I've looked through so far, the total number of scripts I've managed to completely read from top to bottom are...less than ten.

Yup. Sorry to break it to ya.

I say this because if my "reviews" here seem a bit harsh, it's only because I have a pretty high standard. Don't lose heart over my ramblings. The Unsung Critic only likes to nitpick stuff he finds interesting in the first place. So to those screenwriters, please take that twisted logic and somehow try to work it into a compliment.

I'm going to change my policies a little bit due to the increase in queries I've received. First, I'm going to be more selective in which scripts I choose to read; this means your queries better be good. Second, I'm going to try to be a little more generous with my time in reading those scripts I accept. Finally -- and this is upon my request only -- I may offer to re-read a revised or rewritten script if I feel that the original draft had promise.

I appreciate the attention this blog has received, and hope that it's beneficial to you guys in the long run!

No comments: